Maserati presents Nettuno - the new 100% Maserati engine that adopts F1 technology for a road car:
- Maserati Nettuno: 100% Maserati: 100% Made in Modena
- A futuristic engine produced by Maserati’s team of technicians and engineers, protected by international patents.
- Technical specifications confirmed for the new engine.
- Technological features derived from Formula 1, resulting in improved engine efficiency, increased performance and reduced consumption.
- The MC20 super sportscar, the first Maserati to adopt the new engine, will be presented during the “MMXX:The time to be audacious” event which will take place on 9 and 10 September in Modena
The new engine is the beating heart of the MC20 super sportscar that will make its world premiere in September. The unit was designed at Maserati’s Modena facilities: the Maserati Innovation Lab on Via Emilia Ovest, the workshops on Via Delle Nazioni (Maserati Corse’s historic base) and developed at the Engine Hub, situated at the famous Viale Ciro Menotti address where it will be built. Currently the new production line and new paint shop are being modified to host the much-anticipated MC20.
The new engine is the result of a technical revolution, one protected by international patents. The project was born from the passion and commitment of a team of highly-qualified technicians and engineers. After twenty years, Maserati has once again enthusiastically taken on the challenge of returning to its Modena HQ with the development and production of a new, highly-technological, high-performance engine.
The operation is a strategic one for Maserati, a brand that, today, is preparing to launch the new MC20, a project that is ‘100% Made in Modena’ starting right from it’s engine, the heart of the new car.
An ambitious design, which represents a historic moment for the company, a new era that will officially begin on September 9 and 10 in Modena during the event, "MMXX: The time to be audacious". At the launch, new models will be revealed, which will go into production in the coming years, and innovative propulsion systems as well as ambitious programmes developed by the Casa del Tridente will be announced.
The new power unit is a V90° architecture, with a 3-litre, 6-cylinder twin-turbo, and features a dry sump (a classic solution on super sportscars). It delivers 630CV at 7500rpm and 730 Nm of torque from 3000rpm with a specific power output of 210CV/litre. The compression ratio is 11:1, the stroke is 82 mm and the bore 88 mm.
The soul of the engine is the innovative pre-chamber combustion system featuring twin-spark plugs. This technology is derived from Formula 1 and is now available, for the first time, on an engine destined for the road.
The engine has three main features
- The pre-chamber: a combustion chamber is set between the central electrode and the traditional combustion chamber and connected by a series of specially-designed holes.
- Lateral sparkplug: a traditional sparkplug acts as a support to ensure constant combustion when the engine is operating at a level that doesn’t need the pre-chamber to kick in.
- Twin injection system – direct and indirect: linked to the fuel supply pressure at 350bar, the system reduces noise low down on the rev range, lowering emissions and improving consumption.
It is strategically important and supported by the Innovation Lab, which, thanks to virtual analysis, has allowed development and planning times to be notably reduced.
The new “Made in Modena” engine, a traditional 90° V6, has been taken to unheard of power and torque levels and will be used for the first time on the MC20 super sportscar. The MC20 will take Maserati back to the world of racing.
Engine Architecture V6 90°
Total displacement 3.0 l
Bore / Stroke 88 x 82 mm
Compression Ratio 11: 1
Firing Order 1-6-3-4-2-5
Max Power 630CV @ 7500 rpm
Max Torque 730 Nm @ 3000 – 5500 rpm
Engine Max Revs 8000 rpm
Turbochargers Twin Side Turbo with electronic actuated Waste Gate
Ignition System Twin Spark with passive prechamber
Lubrication pump Fully variable oil pump
Lubrication system Dry sump with scavenge pumps & external oil tank
Fuel System PDI (Direct Injection 350bar + Port Injection 6bar)
Valvetrain & Timing Double Over Head Camshaft with variable valve timing
Engine Width 1000 mm
Engine Height 650 mm
Engine Length 600 mm
Engine Mass (as per DIN GZ) Emission Level EU6D/China 6B/Ulev 70
Maserati produces a complete range of unique cars with an amazing personality, immediately recognisable anywhere. With their style, technology and innately exclusive character, they delight the most discerning, demanding tastes and have always been an automotive industry benchmark. Ambassadors of this heritage are the Quattroporte flagship, the Ghibli sports sedan, and the Levante, Maserati’s very first SUV. A complete range, with petrol and diesel engines, rear and all-wheel drive, the finest materials and outstanding engineering. A tradition of successful cars, each of them redefining what makes an Italian sports car in terms of design, performance, comfort, elegance and safety.
For further information
Maria Conti – Chief Communication Officer Maserati - [email protected]
Davide Kluzer – Product Communication Responsible – [email protected]
Camilla Manzotti – Lifestyle Communication Responsible – [email protected]